Saturday, August 29, 2009

the secret

I think I finally figured out what the secret to finishing a first draft is. It's not being afraid to write crap. I'm such a perfectionist, I agonize over one sentence until my eyes go blurry and I can't stand to sit at the computer one more second. It's stupid.

I already learned this with screenwriting, just get the draft out. Get words on paper and sort them out in the rewrite. I actually love editing, I love pulling the pieces together like a puzzle and honing them until they tell the best version of the story possible.

The difference between screenplays and novels though is all the words. There's so many words in a book! The thought of working through so many in a revision is overwhelming and so, rather than trusting myself that I will get the bare bones that I need for a good edit, I am constantly going back and revising or taking time away to rework the plot.

It's time to stop. It's time to put my butt in the chair, write some crap and sort it out later. Today, I'm giving myself the permission to write the worst scenes ever. I will finish this first draft in the next two weeks. No, really, I will!

3 comments:

BJW said...

You're voicing exactly what I feel. Good luck writing crap. That's my new goal.

You can do it!

Valerie Kemp said...

Thanks! I feel like that should be my motto or something. "You too can write crap!"

Because, hey, a crappy novel is still better than a half-finished work of art.

Mame said...

*furious clapping*

Related Posts with Thumbnails