Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Favorite: Live In The Along

It's Friday and I thought I'd post something that's a favorite of mine. This is a poem I have loved ever since I saw it on a bus poster over ten years ago. It's stuck with me all this time. I hope you love it too.

Speech to the Young : Speech to the Progress-Toward
by Gwendolyn Brooks

Say to them,
say to the down-keepers,
the sun-slappers,
the self-soilers,
the harmony-hushers,
"Even if you are not ready for day it cannot always be night."
You will be right.
For that is the hard home-run.

Live not for battles won.
Live not for the-end-of-the-song.
Live in the along.


I find myself thinking of the line "Even if you are not ready for day, it cannot always be night" whenver I need a little courage.

Have a happy and SAFE St. Patrick's Day weekend!

1 comment:

Sage Ravenwood said...

Amazing prose. Thank you for sharing. The last line sinks deep, "Live in the along". Wonderful sentiment. (Hugs)Indigo

Related Posts with Thumbnails