Monday, March 5, 2012

Revitalized! (A Retreat in Photos)

So I'm back from a glorious, internet-free writer's retreat. I spent last week in the mountains of North Carolina with some of my very favorite people. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating: There is nothing better for a writer than spending time with other writers. Seriously.

Aside from the sheer relaxation of being away from home and normal responsibilities, I left this year's retreat inspired and motivated. I would say there was as much writing talk (both business and mechanics) as there was silliness, and that makes for an awesome time.

I got to (finally!) work out the starting place and emotional core of my novel, and have dance-offs with my Dance-Partner-for-Life, Myra McEntire. I got to learn how other writers push through the doubt and keep writing, and hike up a gorgeous mountain (and um, nearly die because apparently, I'm that out of shape.) I got to totally make a fool of myself by getting tongue-tied when the even-more-awesome-in-person Stephanie Perkins stopped by with 2013 debut author Megan Shepherd.

I highly recommend finding yourself a crit partner like my very own Natalie C Parker who finds planning epic retreats relaxing. (No, you can't have her.)

I'm sure it won't be long before you see some video evidence of our escapades, but until then, here's a little photo story of the week that was.


The food.

The turret.

The turret view.

Hanging out. (Photo totally stolen from Sonia Gensler.)

The strange brew.

The signing at Malaprops. (From left: Beth Revis, Carrie Ryan, Jackson Pearce, Myra McEntire, Saundra Mitchell, Sonia Gensler, Brenna Yovanoff, Tessa Gratton, Victoria Schwab)

3 comments:

Lacey J Edwards said...

Ahh, you have no idea how badly I wish I could've been there! Glad you're home safe and motivated!

Rachel said...

From the dance-off comment and the picture, I assume you guys released the Kraken? ;)

Valerie Kemp said...

@Rachel - There MAY have been some Kraken releasing. *cough* Maybe.

@Lacey - So sad you missed it! Next year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails