Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Inspiration

This is my weekly post for my crit group's blog Sisters In Scribe.

I don't know if you're familiar with them, but I subscribe to Notes From The Universe. Monday through Friday, The Universe (as in the one we live in) sends me messages of encouragement and hope. They're tailored to my own personal life goals, but since one of those is to be published, I thought I'd share a couple recent ones today.

The trick is learning to maintain an unwavering focus upon your desired end result, your completed dream, the "finish line," without insisting upon, or even contemplating, its means of attainment, no matter how logical, obvious, or tempting it may seem.

I love this. It's so true. As so many have pointed out before me (most recently, Kiersten White had a great post on this) there is no magic formula for the next bestseller. Don't waste your time wondering if you've got the "right" story for the market, or trying to figure out the "next big trend". Just write your book the way you see it. Write the story you want to read. If you let the joy of the process come through in your writing, and you write what you love, others will pick up on that energy and love it too.

I've found that "The Secret" really works. Visualize yourself where you want to be in your career. Don't worry if you can't figure out the details, logic, or any possible way that you'll get there. Just write your book as though it's already sold. Already getting rave reviews.

It's so much more fun to be writing the best book ever(!) than it is to write a worthless piece of crap that will never sell.

People who do all they can, with what they've got, from where they are, no matter how puny their actions, how tiny their steps, or how futile it may seem, simply have more fun. Way.

Of course, to the uninitiated it doesn't appear that way. To them it appears as if only those taking gigantic leaps, who drive cars with fancy wheels, have loads of friends, perfect bodies, and fly around the world in First Class Sleeper Seats, are having fun. But what they don't realize is that we're often talking about the very same folks, just at different points in their journey.


Like Kristi said last week, it's all about baby steps! As long as you're moving forward you're going somewhere. I like this because it reminds me that everyone successful started out clueless and uncertain, but they're successful because they kept going even when it was scary, or difficult, or they were exhausted or discouraged.

A "no" is not the end, it's just another step along your journey to success.

What are some of your favorite inspirational or encouraging messages? What keeps you going?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous post! My hubby and I have subscribed to the Notes from the Universe for a long time -- it's the best way to start your day. :)

Elana Johnson said...

What an inspiring post. And yes, I want to be writing the next best seller as opposed to a piece of crap. What great words!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I definitely prefer best-sellerdom to crap! Just about any quote from Mother Teresa is enough to keep me going. :-)

kah said...

I get Notes from the Universe too! I love those little snippets of magic in my email box every day. :)
My WIP is gonna be the next Harry Potter, baby! Okay, I don't ever visualize that, but I do imagine it being well loved by a lot of people.
Karen’s Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails