Saturday, January 9, 2010

Revisionland

I have officially entered Revisionland! Or is that I have officially entered Revisionland *insert creepy laughter here*?

Yesterday I decided to stop wasting time while I thought about what other scenes might be missing and what order the scenes should go in - aka procrastinating. I wrote out of order, which was very helpful because I think in scenes, but left me with quite a mess. So I stuck the scenes loosely in order and printed out all 186 pages of my first draft. I figured it was better to read what I had and see how it all fits together before writing additional stuff.

Now, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. There is SO MUCH paper! And words! So many words! And somehow I'm supposed to make them all come together into a real live book? I have to say though, that looking at that huge stack of paper - like two inches, seriously - makes me feel accomplished. I wrote all those pages! It makes me feel that much closer to achieving my goal. If I can write that, surely I can shape into something worth reading right? Right?

I just need to scrape up some courage, grab my trusty hot pink pen, and curl up on the couch with my book. Because I wrote one. Like, for real. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Nicole Settle said...

Good luck with the revisions! I know it can be brutal but rather rewarding when finished.

Patricia said...

Good luck!
It's easier for me to write in order but I still know how wicked crazy revisions are. I am entering the second phase of my revision, too.

Jessica said...

Good luck! What an amazing feat!

Unknown said...

Best of luck! I use a purple pen on mine -- like your pink one, it makes the revision process a little more fun than using a red pen. I can't wait to read this -- is this what you're submitting to us next?

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

yay! good luck!!!!

Monster of Books said...

I salute you, Good Luck. You've entered the land of no return *I wave at you from afar*

:)

Rhiannon Hart said...

Best of luck with revisions! (Hope you're enjoying Fire too, lovely book.)

Kelly@ JustWrite said...

Popping over from VerlaKay's. I noticed we follow lots of the same writing blogs! Good luck with your revisions. It is daunting at first, but hopefully, once you get started (as much fun as it is to procrastinate!), it'll all fall into place!!

Lacey J Edwards said...

I'm in the same boat. Not only did I write it all once, I opened a blank document and retyped it--187 pages sitting on my desk.

It is overwhelming, but what an accomplished feeling! I went through it once with my trusty red pen and made small notes in the margin and then wrote a more detailed note in a notebook. It's helped so much.

sarah darlington said...

I hear ya. I should be doing the same thing and am instead surfing random blogs. Do you have any critique partners Valerie?

Michelle Gregory said...

there really is something satisfying about looking at all those pages and realizing you wrote all those words. best wishes on the revisions.

i love your blog description. so many ways to put off writing, aren't there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails