Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Classically Clueless

Recent reads like The Sky Is Everywhere and new releases like Jane have brought to my attention the fact that I am woefully under-read when it comes to the classics. I want to fix that. The problem is, I have no idea where to start! I have just four books on my Classics To Read list:

Great Expectations (currently reading)
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Pride and Prejudice

Shut up. I know. It's embarrassing!

So what else is a must read?

Here's some classics I have read.

Catcher In The Rye
Mansfield Park
Crime and Punishment
Billy Budd
All Quiet on the Western Front
A Doll's House
Romeo & Juliet
As You Like It
The Scarlet Letter
The Good Earth
Fahrenheit 451
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Chronicles of Narnia
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
The Crucible
Death of a Salesman

9 comments:

Renae said...

I can't wait to read Jane. There are so many other books on my list it's a wonder that I get any writing done at all!

Pam Harris said...

Don't feel too bad. I haven't read a majority of the books on your lists. However, I'm FINALLY going to start reading Catcher in the Rye this week. :)

Lale said...

I haven't read a lot of the books on your list- definitely not the more American ones like Catcher in the Rye and The Scarlet Letter, because we never covered them at school in the UK. I did really enjoy Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet, though- even though I've done Macbeth in class on three separate occasions. Two plays I really, really enjoyed were RC Sherriff's 'Journey's End' and Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of being Earnest' (sp?) which I really recommend if you liking reading plays!

kah said...

I'd say you've read a good amount. You should be proud. I always liked Room With A View. :)

I can't wait to read The Sky is Everywhere. It's on my TBR SOON list.

Rebecca Christiansen said...

I recommend the other Jane Austen novels. She's AMAZING - her characterization is incredible, and her dialogue... omg, she can make magic happen with dialogue. My favourite Austen novel is Emma, so I really recommend that. I also recommend the original Frankenstein. Pretty cool that Mary Shelley was only 19 when she wrote it.

Sarah Wylie said...

Hehe, what's that they say about great minds thinking alike? ;) And I have to say, you're waaay ahead of me in terms of what classics you have read!

Rhiannon Hart said...

JANE EYRE IS THE BEST!!! OK, it's like my favourite book so it gets me excited :D

And thank you for the congratulations!

Spy Scribbler said...

Every book I write is an attempt to write Jane Eyre. You'll love it!

Meredith said...

Oooh, you're in for some fun reading! Those are some of my faves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails