Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fight Your Way Through

I love what Ira Glass has to say in this video about that feeling of disappointment we can sometimes get when the vision we have for our work is not what we manage to create, and how the only way to make it what we want is to fight our way through that disappointment, and keep on writing.

Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.



This backs up something I truly believe, even as I struggle with it. And that's that if you can dream it, you can do it. If you can imagine a book, full of amazing plot twists, and gut-wrenching emotion, and all the things you love in a book, YOU CAN WRITE THAT BOOK. It might feel like you can't. It might feel scary, and hard, and impossible, but trust me. That book is already inside you. It's already written. You just have to sit down and spit it out.

2 comments:

Andrea Mack said...

Great advice, Valerie. Lately I've come to realize that it's important for me to spend a lot of time thinking about that story idea and making it great, so that when I go to write, I can just spit it out.

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

So basically, I need to bookmark this post and read/watch it every single day. Because struggling through sucksssss sometimes...

Related Posts with Thumbnails